So, when you are required to face a harsh legal consequence which could engage probation, jail term or fines, you cannot afford to go about managing your legal condition without the services of a criminal defense lawyer. And you need to look for the services of a lawyer who has the experience, knowledge and the reputation in order to handle your case with the judges, prosecutors and courts.
He must instantly prepare for his defense as soon as a person is released from jail on signature and cash bond. For the person hiring a experienced criminal defense attorney immediately is the best way to prepare for the case. The sooner you benefit for the services of one the better for your chances at successful defense. And in cases where you have not been charged or you are still under investigation, you should immediately look for a legal counsel as it is your basic right.
When you are searching for your defense lawyer there are necessary guidelines that you should follow.
- In the location where you are facing criminal charges, you should perform an online search for a qualified criminal defense attorney who is practicing. You can narrow your search by focusing on legal practitioners who are specializing in criminal cases.
- For your choice of criminal defense lawyer you can pick out the top 3 or 4 law firms. Screen the lawyer’s track record and credentials. You should verify his court experience in the court case that you are facing.
- You can check the criminal defense lawyer’s name by visiting the websites of the well-known criminal defense associations. For your attorney you should limit the search to those who are united of greatly regarded lawyer’s associations. California bar certified specialist is good choice if you are in that area.
- You should keep an eye on the reality of the maintained area of knowledge of the criminal defense lawyer. Also, you can check the local TV stations and State journal site.
- In order to verify if they provide free initial consultation you can call or visit the law firm so that you can look at the possibilities for their firm representing you in your court case.
Also, you should consider the following when selecting your criminal defense attorney.
- You should check for published books, treatises and articles that were written by the lawyer. As this can be a strong evidence of the capability of your legal counsel.
- You should confirm the number of complete acquittals won by the lawyer. This is a good proof on the degree of preparation and general court demeanor your lawyer.
- By his peers and his position in lawyer’s associations you should check on how your lawyer is regarded.
- You are assured of the competence and integrity of your criminal defense lawyer if there is a referral for the lawyer from state bars. In order to get the background information of your lawyer you can check the website of the state bar.